|Weather Emergency Info|
The Housing and Residence Life Department suggests:
1. Residents remain indoors during severe weather
2. When notified of severe weather, all persons should evacuate and move to the most central location of the apartment away from glass doors and windows. Residents should take a pillow, blanket and flashlight with them and wear shoes.
A tornado watch signifies that atmospheric conditions are such that a tornado could develop. The National Weather Service will issue a tornado watch for a specific time period and geographic area. Although a tornado watch does not represent imminent danger, it should not be treated lightly. Residents should monitor television and radio weather bulletins and begin taking precautionary measures.
A tornado warning means that a tornado has been sighted in the immediate area. Listen to local FM or television stations for tornado warning information. Staff and resident should take shelter at once and follow the instructions below for maximum protection.
1. Evacuate to corridors or stairwells without windows
2. Protect themselves with a heavy blanket, mattress, etc.
3. Assume the tornado safety position-kneel facing a wall with head tucked down toward knees, arms over head, and back facing up
For more information, please see our Safety and Risk Management website: